But first...these commmercial messages

My wife and I were talking over a few things today, and the subject of the blog and things relating to the blog came up. My wife is so great that she has probably ruined me for other women forever. One of the many reasons is that we can enjoy just sitting around and talking about all sorts of things and not get bored. We both find life fascinating and like to research topics that catch our attention. Anyway, during that part of the discussion we agreed on the following:

The commenters on this blog are great!

YO, you guys? I think most of you are just awesome! I am now going to give out some thanks.

Thanks to the guys who disagree with me and make reasoned arguments to present their side of the discussion. I think that if this were a one-sided blog it would be rather boring. Yeah, sometimes you say something I think is whack. Mostly you present evidence and make arguments that add tremendously to the subject under discussion. Thanks very much! (And a nod to s cohen, who is indeed the one who pointed me towards The Mars Volta.)

Thanks also to the people who agree with me and bring in more evidence, or yet another viewpoint, or just an 'atta boy' now and then. I do participate in the comment thread but it works best when the comment thread itself is a back-and-forth discussion. Sometimes it gets heated but that is because we are talking about stuff that really matters to us.

Thanks even to the occasional bonehead who writes something really stupid so the rest of us can hoot at it! It's all good.

~~~~~~~

Thanks to any and every one of you who has taken the time to serve his country in any branch of the Armed Forces. No nation is great, or even good, if it is not peopled with those who will serve others for the greater good. Whether you schlepped cargo or shot rifles or simply sat at a desk keeping records, you are part of the reason your country is standing free. Thank you Americans and British and Canadians and Australians and even Kiwis who have stepped up to the task! (I realize some of the commenters here are not from the States.)

It is Memorial Day weekend here in the states, when we remember those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of our nation. God bless them, every one!

God bless my oldest son, Rob, now a sergeant, for serving with honor. We will be so glad when you can finally come home!!!